Saturday, April 12, 2008

creative work

Memoirs of A Geisha -Chapter 27.5

As Hatsumomo is now gone, I can never seem to remember that her existence is not her anymore. Being accustomed to having Hatsumomo torment us, it took us a long while to release the tension of her existence on us. I was busy with engagement, meeting General Tottori from time to time, and perform dance. I was so tired spending each day entertaining others. Each day go by and nothing has changed. The General had sent many supplies of tea, sugar, cosmetics, chocolate, and other scarce merchandise during the war time. He found doctors for use when we were sick. He was able to provide what we need to survive during those days. Though I did not get lavishing gifts of jewels or kimonos, he provides use with thing that the other danna can give during war time. We were grateful for what he gives us. Our okiya prosper much through the goods given to us.

Mother was pleased by the profits we get from my danna Mother did not need to worry much through the war time with General Tottori backing us up. Her silk sack of tobacco was always full. Mother concern about me more, since she did not want to lose me or prevent our current state to plummet. The okiya depended mostly on me to profit. Pumpkin, still lost without Hatsumomo, also brings money in the okiya, but she did not earn as much as I do. My relationship with Pumpkin did not change. She still does not look at me in the eye and giving me the respect like what she gives to Mother.

Time had passed by smoothly. I have not seen Nobu ever since that meeting after he shut the door in front of me. Nobu was furious that I did not choose him to be my danna. Mameha said that Nobu and I have an en, but after that I no longer believe that we have an en. The Iwamaru Company had never asked for my service after that. I wonder if I would be able to meet the Chairman ever again. I doubt I might be able to, since that incident. I would never be able to Nobu nor would I ever see the Chairman again. I always imagine General Tottori as the Chairman because he had the same kind of dignity. I can not get the image of the Chairman out of my mind. Though I longed for him to notice me, he never came and never paid any attention to me. Maybe he had forgotten the little girl, which he had given coins to before he went to the theatre. I can not meet him ever again because that fate was not meant to be similar to my fate to be with Nobu.


We never thought that the war would last long. The war went on and Gion went well in business. Much was gained since the General was my danna. We had no worries about anything. I kept continuing with my arrangement to entertain my guest. Even though the years of Depression draw near, those who live Gion was not affected much. Now after all these years, I can still remember the day that was about to come. Those days were etched in my mind clearly that I can never forget.

1 comment:

Wendy C.5 said...

It is fun and challenging to try to add a chapter into a well built story. So I enjoyed trying to add something that would flow with the story.